In this course, you will develop simple command-line programs in Python. You will:
• Set up Python and develop a simple application.
• Declare and perform operations on simple data types, including strings,numbers, and dates.
• Declare and perform operations on data structures, including lists, ranges,tuples, dictionaries, and sets.
• Write conditional statements and loops.
• Define and use functions, classes, and modules.
• Manage files and directories through code.
• Deal with exceptions.
This course is designed for people who want to learn the Python programming language in preparation for using Python to develop web and desktop applications.
It is recommended, but not required, that you have at least six months experience programming in an object-oriented language. Even if you don’t, this course can be useful to those that are new to programming.
Lesson 1: Setting Up Python and Developing a Simple Application
•Topic A: Set Up the Development Environment
•Topic B: Write Python Statements
•Topic C: Create a Python Application
• Topic D: Prevent Errors
Lesson 2: Processing Simple Data Types
• Topic A: Process Strings and Integers
• Topic B: Process Decimals, Floats, and Mixed Number Types
Lesson 3: Processing Data Structures
• Topic A: Process Ordered Data Structures
• Topic B: Process Unordered Data Structures
Lesson 4: Writing Conditional Statements and Loops in Python
• Topic A: Write a Conditional Statement
• Topic B: Write a Loop
Lesson 5: Structuring Code for Reuse
• Topic A: Define and Call a Function
• Topic B: Define and Instantiate a Class
• Topic C: Import and Use a Module
Lesson 6: Writing Code to Process Files and Directories
• Topic A: Write to a Text File
• Topic B: Read from a Text File
• Topic C: Get the Contents of a Directory
• Topic D: Manage Files and Directories
Lesson 7: Dealing with Exceptions
• Topic A: Handle Exceptions
• Topic B: Raise Exceptions